WOUT HERMANS is a former digital strategy consultant, now working as the Enterprise Transformation Manager at MURAL – and – a part-time digital nomad. In this interview, we talk about how the team at MURAL works remotely, why it’s important to visualize your work, and Wout’s experiences on Nomad Cruises. (https://www.linkedin.com/in/hermanswout, https://mural.co/)
Wout’s tips for working remotely:
- Find a group of people that you can get together and work with (in person) occasionally.
- For team building and better communication, turn the webcam on.
- Visualizing work can bring a new kind of alignment on the team. It helps people understand each other better.
- Visualizing work online distributes the power to the group. Instead of one person standing at the whiteboard with a pen – in person, virtually, everyone is standing at the whiteboard with a pen. Additionally, there is a recording of the session. So instead of walking into a room and seeing a whiteboard with scribbles you don’t understand without the context, MURAL can record the session so you know how things came to be.
- A lot of conflict comes from people not knowing what each other are doing.
- Get your team together in person on a regular basis.
- To create focus, try breaking your day into different parts.
- Set boundaries for yourself so you don’t overwork.
- Keep digital devices out of the bedroom to help improve your quality of sleep.
- If you’re just starting out with remote working, give yourself a transition period to try things out first.
Podcast production by Podcast Monster
Graphic design by Alfred Boland
Individuals, Interview, Podcast