JOHN RIORDAN is the Director of Support Ireland at Shopify. In this interview we discuss how to build conscious connections using video conferencing and pop-up offices, finding your cadence and socialize when working from home, how to manage the feeling of being always on, and tips for managing remote teams. (https://www.linkedin.com/in/johncriordan , www.shopify.com)
His tips for working remotely:
- Operate in small teams. When you’re working alone all day (from home or wherever) you need a sense of connection. Working in tight-knit groups of 8 to 10 gives you a feeling of working together as a unit.
- Socializing is important in avoiding the potential risk of loneliness that remote work comes with. If you’ve gone a few days where you have chatted with anyone outside of your “ecosystem” or company, arrange to meet someone for a coffee.
- When you’re being trusted, the hardest thing to do is to self-regulate and stop working. Remember that there will always be tomorrow. Turn off your notifications or even remove apps such as Slack from your phone on weekends.
- Remember that you have to be comfortable in the place you choose to live. Don’t go and live somewhere you wouldn’t be happy being unemployed.
- Be very mindful of the organization and type of role you want in a company. Learn what the company’s ethos is on remote working. If you can, ask someone who is currently working there or who has worked there in the past.
Podcast production by Podcast Monster
Graphic design by Alfred Boland
Individuals, Interview, Podcast