PILAR ORTI and MAYA MIDDLEMISS of Virtual, Not Distant have written a book called “Thinking Remote. Inspiration for Leaders of Distributed Teams.” In this interview, we talk about why they wrote the book and we dive into the content of 5 of the 13 chapters.
Their tips for leaders of distributed teams:
- When thinking about working out loud, think about “How much information is too much information? At what point are we just feeding the ‘look what I’ve done’ mentality?”
- Be deliberate about how we’re using technology to construct something that will actually help our teams. Ask yourself how your team interacts and design your space for those interactions.
- Experiment with holding the silence when there are awkward pauses in online meetings.
- To show frustrations, you first have to show that you care. In order to build those close relationships, we have to work at it and put the attention and resources in.
- Don’t just think about our day to day tasks on teams, but also how we can structure the work to help people get to know each other better.
Podcast production by Podcast Monster
Graphic design by Alfred Boland
Interview, Managers, Podcast