BRYAN MILES is CEO & Co-founder of BELAY, alongside his wife Shannon. A leading US-based, virtual solutions company, BELAY has over six hundred team members, all working from home, remotely. Bryan is also the author of Virtual Culture – The Way We Work Doesn’t Work Anymore.
Without an office, BELAY has graced the Inc. 5000 list three times and was awarded the number one spot in Entrepreneur Magazine’s Best Company Culture. BELAY provides virtual assistants, bookkeeping, copywriting, and webmaster services to leaders and fast-paced organizations. BELAY’s services equip leaders and organizations with the ability to climb higher when and where they need it most.
Bryan and Shannon live with their two children, Harper and Rainey, in Atlanta. Practicing what he preaches, Bryan spends his days virtually running his company from his porch in Georgia, from the mountains in Jackson Hole, or from the beaches in the panhandle of Florida.
His tips for working remotely:
- Visualize what success looks like for your team. Outline your OKRs (Objectives and Key Results). Answer the following statement: “When you’re successful, it looks like <this>.”
- You’ve got to be a leader worth following.
- Put systems and processes in place as your business grows. Change and adapt.
- Leaders need to pre-decide to trust people to do the job that’s expected. Default to trusting people.
- Delegate a result, not a task: tell people the expected results and then set them up for success. Don’t tell them what to do.
- Treat people like adults.
- Conflict is ok. Embrace it. Teach your team to have courageous conversations.
- When you see something, say something.
- Verbalize the elephant in the room.
- Welcome the contrarian. Value your great ideas.
- Teach your team how to trust. Assume the best. Trust and verify.
- The quickest way to scale is without an office.
Podcast production by Podcast Monster
Graphic design by Alfred Boland