LAUREL FARRER is a remote-friendly operations consultant and remote work advocate. She believes in “giving each worker the opportunity to choose the environment that inspires them best, no matter where that may be geographically.”
Her tips for working remotely:
- Work in the environments where you are most productive.
- If you’re feeling stuck in one environment, try something different. For example, when Laurel needs extra motivation, she works somewhere public. Having people around can help you feel more driven.
- Learn what you need to get your work done, and then craft a work style to meet your needs.
- Update your management strategies. Don’t use traditional management strategies for a remote team.
- Be intentional with your remote communication: create opportunities to share information with each other. Be articulate how and where you say/write things.
- Create rituals to measure productivity: stand up meetings, retreats, etc.
- Evaluate your workflows and processes regularly.
- Be open and transparent.
Podcast production by Podcast Monster
Graphic design by Alfred Boland