If you work from home, how do you create and maintain boundaries between work and play? How do you set expectations with your family, housemates and guests? In this episode we walk through the steps of how to separate work and play when everything happens in the same place.
Tips for setting boundaries when working at home:
- IT’S UP TO YOU. Setting your own boundaries is your job. You are responsible for your own needs.
- CREATE A DEDICATED SPACE FOR WORKING. Many people advise to create a dedicated workspace where you are not in the path of other people. A dedicated space also helps separate home and work.
- USE SEPARATE DEVICES. If you want to take separating home and work one step further, use a different device for work than for watching Netflix is browsing Reddit. For example, I use my laptop for work, and my iPad for watching movies.
- SET YOUR WORKING HOURS. If you can, set the hours where you will be working, and then manage your time. This helps partners or housemates know when you will or won’t be available. And don’t forget to set time off! It’s productive to take breaks.
- SET EXPECTATIONS. Let your guests and family know what you need during your work hours.
- DON’T BE OVERLY AVAILABLE. You don’t have to respond to that email in real time.
- PRACTICE SAYING NO. Practice prioritizing your time and focusing on what’s important.
- HIRE CHILDCARE. Many people recommend hiring someone to watch your kids during your work hours (if you have the luxury).
- HAVE A START-UP & SHUT DOWN RITUAL. This helps get your body into a routine that separates work from home).
Podcast production by Podcast Monster
Graphic design by Alfred Boland