This collection of tools is specific for remote workers. This is by no means a complete list… but rather, these are the tools that are being used in the Collaboration Superpowers network of remote working fans. Our favorites are highlighted! If you decide to give something a try, tell ’em Collaboration Superpowers sent you!
- Supercards – virtual meeting cards that help you communicate visually during your video calls. A Collaboration Superpowers product!
- Zoom.us – a Collaboration Superpowers favorite. Simply one of the best video conferencing tools out there. You can see all your colleagues on one screen, share screens and annotate together, breakout into smaller groups, and record the whole thing. Throw Skype For Business out the window and hop on Zoom. Seriously.
- BlueJeans – “interactive, two-way video for teams of any size”. Works great.
- appear.in – an easy, instant way to have a video call. Someone creates a link to a room and sends it to others. No registration needed. And yes, you can also share screens.
- Catch – send quick video messages that expire after 24 hours.
- Shindigs – large-scale video chat events that allow you to present to an online audience of up to 1000. You can also take questions from the audience, provide audience with chat, and stream to YouTube or Facebook Live.
- Amazon Chime – NEW! On the list to be tried. Let us know about your experiences.
- Slack – team conversations in open or private channels.
- HipChat – “team group chat, video chat, and screensharing.”
- Adium – “open source multi-protocol instant messaging client.”
- Sococo – a Collaboration Superpowers favorite (check out the interview). Sococo is an actual virtual office where you can meet and work with your remote colleagues online. The intro video is worth watching and it’s easy to try out.
- PukkaTeam – “realtime team presence through automated, regular webcam selfies and one-click video calling.”
- Kubi – a Collaboration Superpowers favorite (check out the interview). The Revolve Robotics Kubi allows you to beam in and move yourself from side-to-side and up-and-down.
- Beam Pro – another Collaboration Superpowers favorite (check out the interview). With the Beam Pro you can beam in and drive yourself around using the arrow keys on your keyboard.
- Personify – yes, another Collaboration Superpowers favorite (check out the interview). A 3D webcam projects your image onto your monitor. If you’re giving webinars, online presentations or trainings, this is a MUST HAVE.
- PlayPrelude – another Collaboration Superpowers favorite (check out the interview). A trust building game for virtual teams.
- Dr Clue’s treasure hunts – virtual (and in person) treasure hunts for teams. A Collaboration Superpowers favorite (check out the interview).
- virtualicebreakers.com – exactly what it says in the name. Virtual icebreakers. (check out the interview)
- Lisette’s favorite icebreakers.
- CareerLark Icebreakers – “help your teams get to know each other by sharing fun facts with each other.”
- Icebreakers for virtual teams on the podcast
- Bridging Distance’s favorite icebreakers
Online meeting managers
- Lucid Meetings – helps you schedule times, send calendar reminders, agree on an agenda, log action items, gather user feedback, and use or create your own meeting templates. This is a Collaboration Superpowers favorite.
- Meetopia – “always present virtual meeting facilitator”. It makes it easy to add agenda items and vote on their order.
- Linoit – “free sticky and canvas services that requires nothing but a Web browser.” A Collaboration Superpowers favorite.
- Ideaflip – turn thoughts into ideas, share and refine them – anywhere.
- Post-It Plus – capture notes, organize and share them with everyone.
- Team Canvas – “business model canvas for teamwork.”
Task and project management
There are too many to list. Check out this comparison of project management software on wikipedia
- Delegation Poker – A Collaboration Superpowers favorite. This is a way to clarify who’s responsible for what and to what level.
- Hibox.co – “task and project management, chat and video calls in a single app” (check out the interview).
- Nozbe – task management and productivity app (check out the interview).
- ScrumDo – a tool that supports online Scrum and Scrumban (check out the interview).
- Freeter – “the smartest way to work on multiple projects simultaneously.”
- Glip – “real-time messaging with integrated task management, video conferencing, shared calendars and more.”
Feedback and retrospectives
- Retrium – online retrospectives made easy. A Collaboration Superpowers favorite! (check out the interview).
- Scatterspoke – online retrospectives. (check out the interview).
- Bonus.ly – “360 degree microbonuses”. A Collaboration Superpowers favorite!
- YouEarnedIt – peer to peer recognition software.
- Selleo – 360-degree peer-to-peer feedback based on Jurgen Appelo’s Merit Money system.
- Remote Agile Tool – online board for remote team retrospectives.
- RescueTime – “tracks time spent on applications and websites, giving you an accurate picture of your day.”
- Clockspot – “track employee time from anywhere.”
- Time doctor – “time tracking and productivity monitoring software for businesses and individuals.”
- Indivizo – automated video interview app. A Collaboration Superpowers favorite!
Standup meetings / status updates
- iDoneThis – “daily check-ins and powerful progress reports”. A Collaboration Superpowers favorite.
- Standup Bot – “running Slack’s fastest standup meetings” (check out the interview).
- Standuply – a bot that interviews your team and delivers answers to Slack, Trello and email.
- ETEO board – digital touchscreen that incorporates video (check out the interview).
- Rentouch – digital touchscreen that incorporates video.
- Dicordapp – “all-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone.”
- VAIL – a way to respond to emails with voice messages.
- Virtual Team Talk – a Slack group of people talking about remote teams and experimenting with new tools and ideas together. We virtually co-work together in virtual office, plan online conferences, and play a lot. Join us!
- Greenback Expat Tax Services – accountants that help US citizens abroad with their taxes. A Collaboration Superpowers favorite! (check out the interview).
Remote working retreats
- Rebel + Connect – “retreats for remote teams” (check out their interview).
- Coworkation – “when work meets vacation” (check out their interview).
Remote working policies
Books in the remote genre
- Stories of Remote Teams Doing Great Things by Lisette Sutherland, of course!
- A Manager’s Guide to Virtual Teams by Yael Zofi
- Better Remote Work: Do It Right, And Reap the Benefits by Jarkko Oksanen
- The Virtual Manager by Kevin Sheridan
- Virtual Freedom by Chris Ducker
- The Year Without Pants by Scott Berkun
- Influencing Virtual Teams by Hassan Osman (check out the interview)
- Remote: Office Not Required by Jason Fried
- Virtual Leadership by Ghislaine Caulat
- Building & Managing Virtual Teams by Chris Lema
- The Circle by Dave Eggers (a fiction book – but surprisingly accurate)
- 50 Digital Team-Building Games by John Chen