Name: Dom Price
Talent: Head of R&D and Work Futurist at Atlassian
Based in: Sydney, Australia
Dom Price is the head of R&D and work futurist at Atlassian. Originally from Manchester, now living in Sydney, Australia, Dom spends half his time on the road between the US, Europe, and Australia. We discuss what Atlassian struggles with and how they share and scale knowledge throughout their organization. We also discuss how they manage communication with teams having different backgrounds, cultures. and rituals – and what they do when conflict arises.
His tips on working remotely:
- Have a single source of truth.
- Evolve your rituals and disciplines to engage your remote colleagues.
- When one person is remote, everyone is remote. Try to level the playing field. If we’re distributed, we’re all equal.
- Giving people freedom allows them to bring their best selves to work. Bringing your best self to work doesn’t mean commuting into an office.
- Spend time together face-to-face. You can build relationships in person, and maintain them remotely.
- When working with different time zones, use your “overlap time” wisely.
- Before you try any products, make sure you get your practices right. If you don’t understand the disciplines of how you want to work with someone, no tool will solve that.
- Experiment and explore: try small things.
Listen to the podcast with Dom Price
Watch the full interview with Dom Price