Inspired by something Tim Ferriss did on his podcast, this episode focuses on distilling remote work down to its essentials. I went through a huge list of ideas and came up with what I think are the essential things that make remote work… or not.
Top do’s of remote working
- Have great internet and use great equipment. If you don’t have great internet, you’re doomed. Invest in a decent (and comfortable) headset. Get a second monitor. Make sure you have a webcam
- Embrace video. We lose so much information by not being able to see each other. Facial expressions play a major role in communication. Many people don’t like turning their videos on. But get over it. Be a professional. And turn those webcams on!
- Work out loud. Find a way to be visible with your teammates so you know what each other are doing. Be a pro-active communicator.
Top don’ts of remote working
- Don’t be hard to find. Create a team agreement about how you want to work together and stick to it.
- Don’t break your promises. Reliability is a huge factor in building trust on remote teams.
- Don’t let things fester. When something is bothering you, don’t wait too long to say something. Create regular check in points to communicate well with your team.
Podcast production by Podcast Monster
Graphic design by Alfred BolandPodcast